Thursday, February 11, 2010

I am trying to hang pictures and keep hitting the metal frame. How can I find a good place to put the nail?

When we lived in an apartment it seemed like I hit this steel stud everytime I would try to hang pictures with a nail. Eventually, after hammering for 5 or 6 times, I will finally get sheetrock that I can hammer the nail into. We just purchased a brand new home and these homes are made from a steel frame. I am running into the same issue when trying to hammer the nail, except it seems like the nail is springing back out the hole.





How can I tell right off the bat, a good place to hang my pictures WITHOUT putting a million holes in the wall?I am trying to hang pictures and keep hitting the metal frame. How can I find a good place to put the nail?
You can use self-tapping screws, available at any hardware store......That's what they use to hang drywall on metal studs......Also check the hardware store in the picture frame dept. They sell hooks that you don't have to put in a stud or put big holes in the wall with, they can hold alot of weight........I am trying to hang pictures and keep hitting the metal frame. How can I find a good place to put the nail?
Don't! Use contact hangers.

Report Abuse



Get a stud finder that will detect metal studs as well as wooden ones. Use it to determine where the studs are and then you can avoid them....
Once you know where ONE of the frame is, another one is either 16 or 24 inches apart. You should be able to guess where the next one will be.... OR, you could buy a stud finder at any home improvement center.
You can find a stud finder on Amazon for sale.





http://www.amazon.com/Zircon-61386-StudS鈥?/a>
You can use a stud finder that you can buy at like Walmart or a home improvement store. It uses batteries and you hold it up to the wall and it will let you know where to put the nail.
I say you should hang pics where ever you want, by using drywall inserts with a screw, or a self tapping screw. If your insistant on using nails and dont care too much on location of pics, purchase a metal stud finder to locate the metals studs and have at it.
use a screw
You should buy a stud finder for heavier items.Thick nails for sheetrock.
Purchase a good ';Stud finder';. Not the cheap ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment